HISTORY In the mid 1800's, the small trading town called Silver Run (after one of the many creeks in the area) was identified with the railroad station named for Colonel Arnold Seale--first as Seale's Station in 1856, and then simply as Seale. The county seat was moved from Crawford to Seale, the geographical center of Russell County, in 1868, and a two-story courthouse was built in the center of town. Soon, Seale had a hotel, a bank, a drugstore, a school, and several general mercantile stores, warehouses, mills, and churches.  In 1935, the county seat was again moved, this time to Phenix City. (Phenix City and Hurtsboro are now the only incorporated towns in Russell County.) The courthouse was abandoned as a branch judicial center in 1943. After being used as the Seale High School basketball court in the 1950s, the second-floor courtroom later became a home for hundreds of pigeons, and the building was left to deteriorate. The hotel, bank, drugstore, mercantile stores, warehouses, and mills also closed; most of these buildings have disappeared. 


Today, Seale is the home of three large schools in the Russell County School System: Russell County High School, Russell County Middle School, and Oliver Elementary School. The secondary students are bussed from Ladonia, Crawford, Dixie, Ft. Mitchell, Pittsview, Glenville, Uchee, Cottonton, Hatchechubbee, and Hurtsboro. We have approximately ten churches and several garages, filling stations, grocery stores, and restaurants. Our post office serves over 1500 mailboxes on four routes. 

History of the Seale Post Office

Although Seale is technically in the Central Time Zone, most of the residents choose to live on Eastern, or "fast" time, because so many of us work in Columbus or Ft. Benning.

The old courthouse building was saved in 1975 by a committee of concerned citizens and was improved (new roof, electricity, air-conditioning, kitchen) every year with the proceeds of the annual Old Russell County Courthouse Fair on Labor Day.  The Fair was discontinued in 1999.  The old courthouse is now a site for meetings, weddings, and family reunions.

HOME | SCHOOLS | CHURCHES | COURTHOUSE | SCRAPBOOK | LINKS