The new Auburn High School, located at 1701 East
Samford Avenue behind Lakeview Baptist between University and
the new section of Samford, will be completed in 2017. It is is
a 350,000 square-foot facility with capacity for 2,200 students.
Founded in 1837 as Auburn Academy, Auburn High School is the
oldest public secondary school in Alabama. Auburn High
became Lee County's flagship high school in 1914 as Lee County
High School, and gained its present name, Auburn High School, in
1956. The high school moved from Samford Avenue to its current
campus on Dean Road in 1965. The building currently has over
1,700 students in grades 10-12.
The Samford Avenue school is now the junior high school (grades
8 and 9) and will become the middle school (grades 6 and 7) in
2017 when the junior high moves to the current high school.